Monday, September 18, 2006

The nursery


The nursery
Originally uploaded by Spamily.
The baby could show up any minute now and still be considered full term. The picture shows what the baby's room looked like as of yesterday. You might notice the dearth of baby-related stuff and the surplus of random crap.

We spent yesterday evening mucking the room out (into the study, which was previously pretty much done and is now unusable), and also doing lots to move stuff away from the walls in the master bedroom. When my midwife told me to stay away from paint fumes, I decided I didn't want to leave all the painting responsibilities on Dave's shoulders. I also decided that it would be a very good idea to cover the flat indigo paint in the big bedroom with an eggshell paint, so that when the kid gets mobile and starts leaving marks everywhere we'll be able to scrub them off. And I didn't want the painting going on with a baby in the house, so I broke down and hired a painter. He will take three days to do the whole job, and it will look great, and it will be done.

He started today. The room in the picture is now almost empty, and it's a nice yellow with a red bulkhead and green closet doors. Tomorrow he'll do the windowsill, the door, and the baseboards, and then he'll get started on the bedroom. Nice guy, highly recommended by others in the building. So: yay.

My feet and ankles are sausages. I'm finally getting stretch marks across my belly. I grunt a lot when I move around. I'm glad I'm not working anymore, because it's so much effort to get anywhere, and I get exhausted very easily. But even with all the discomfort and unpleasantness, I've really loved being pregnant. It's amazing to know that my body can do this, can build a tiny person by combining two cells. I'm a little sad that this part of the process is almost over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

((hugs))

I, too, loved being pregnant. I felt like a walking biology lab (just as I feel now as I'm aging and there are these weird brown SPOTS on my forearms and various things don't work right or take longer to heal), sort of stepping aside and observing. I might even admit that the first thing I said after our first was born was, "Wow, look what we did." (The first thing the doctor said was, "Oh my God, look at the size of that head!" Heh.)

Good choice to have someone do the painting: keep those feet up to avoid further sausage emulation behavior, and just... enjoy. Everything will change soon enough. :-)