Monday, December 11, 2006

Leslie

The richly talented writer, designer, and photographer Leslie Harpold took this picture of us on our wedding day, November 10, 1997. I've always loved it. It's the first thing you see when you walk into our home.

Leslie died alone at home sometime late last week; her mother found her on Sunday. She would have turned 41 on January 8.

Bless you, Leslie, and thank you. Next time I see Kathleen, she and I will go to a biker bar and hoist longnecked Budweisers, as we did the night before my wedding, that night when you told us so many of your stories of heartbreak and showed us your still endless capacity for optimism and love. The next day was the last day I saw you, and now it'll be the last time ever. Godspeed. You are already terribly missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the Budweisers... pace yourself next time.